Thursday, November 16, 2006

Introduction: Points of Departure

I find it incidental that my first venture in the blogging world coincided with the first day of my literature class. I should clarify: I've been blogging for a while (around 4 posts now) in Yahoo! 360, not really to blog blog, but only to try out its features. To be honest, that site's a fine thing - it beats friendster.com and myspace.com by a mile in terms of user-friendliness and ease of use, and of course, it's got the Yahoo! server for better photo uploading and sharing sessions. But then again, I've never really been fond of the online social networking culture, which made the all the effort to customize my account and fill up fields and forms a total waste of my time.

Now on this blog and my class. I will not admit that it's the "literary bug" that bit me to take blogging seriously, because it did not. Contrary to most assumptions, I decided to pursue further studies in literature not to be a writer and not, more importantly and this point I should make clear, because I'm "inspired." I've already given up on the possibility of me writing for a living for, if it's still not obvious, I'm kind of boring and unimaginative - writing-wise. But who said one needs to write prize-winning entries for blogs?

Tomorrow is the second day of my literature class. The course is an introduction to post-colonial studies; a subject I am fond of, but I cannot claim expertise nor mastery. If it's any help, I took several courses on post-modernism in undergraduate Sociology, which exposed me to the whole "post-" phenomena. Whatever it is, I hope both their "post-"'s mean the same. Scholars are wasting valuable intellectual resources debating over its meaning - which they are most welcome to use for ending global poverty - if Chomsky's "post-" is nowhere near Said's. Or they can also dismantle nukes. Or unseat Presidents (the bushy one or the short one).

My bad. At least Chomsky's not missing the big picture.

Now, why this blog? Simply because I decided I should keep one.

No comments: