Saturday, June 9, 2007

Goodbye Iowa

So our office had our annual R&R last week. It was relaxing at most. I rarely find things funny, and when I do, it usually is not supposed to be so I guess I'm excused if won't say I had fun. People expect me not to anyway.

We were on the road to Eagle's Point as early as 7am, and on our midway stopover in Laguna, we realized we do not have a laptop with us. I asked my officemate to bring his but due to stupid miscommunication, no one had brought it. And its because of me. I felt guilty, but we decided to drop the whole case. So no movie marathon for us. Fine.

The accommodations were nice, the food aplenty. We were fed to death. We were brought to an isolated part of the island, where the "more beautiful" sea shore - according to the guides - was supposed to inspire awe to us. There was no awe, but I must admit, there was some inspiration. Everywhere I go nowadays I command myself to remember there is. But it was rocky and there was hardly sand; only bits and pieces of corals. I maybe be exaggerating, as I am known to do most of the time especially if I feel strongly about something, but upon returning to our rooms I had at least a dozen small cuts on my feet.

I took a nap and shower, we had overflowing dinner. The clouds were overflowing, too. We were supposed to have a karaoke session, then the power went out. It came back and went out again. I was first on the mic. I was supposed to have a karaoke session. I went to my room and finished Roth's The Breast and started half way through Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five. Before I knew it the sun was already up.

Took some pictures of the place during sunrise. Watched some caged birds stare back at me. With hatred, I suppose. Had breakfast then showered then packed my bags.

We dropped by the People's Park in the Sky on our way back to Manila. Cool place, the view was breathtaking. Bought a shirt to serve as evidence I've been there but I forgot to leave my mark. Neither did Eagle's Point.
***
This is a very long blog.

While I enlisted myself via internet to the two conditional classes I am required to take to be fully admitted to the MA program in Comparative Literature, I was only accepted in one. I accepted my fate, and was already choosing between taking another class in French or String Instruments (or Film Production or Art Studies) when my very supportive adviser (Dr. Schriever, an expert in American Lit) gave it a shot and tried her best to get me into the class I was required to take. But the professor was steadfast, and refused my adviser's request. Claimed the class is full.

The following day I met with Dr. Priscelina Patajo-Legasto, again to ask for advise; Dr. Schriever wasn't around, and I felt that I really need to take Lit subjects now. I am already on my second year and all I have on my record is a single, undergraduate Lit subject with a 1.5 mark. Talk about being a Lit major. At least, I have 12 units in European Language.

And now I might be making history. She, too appeared supportive and sympathetic to my plight and agreed with my assessment that I am way behind of the recommended program. Thanks to her, I am all of 22 years and very excited to attend what's left of my options, a LittD. class in Literary Theory and Criticism.
***
I had my hair styled today by the groomsmen of Going Straight at SM North EDSA. And by the looks of it, I don't think I shouldn't have given them a tip.

No comments: