Sunday, April 8, 2007

Cheers for Anya

Wherever she is now, I bet Anya's having the time of her life. The occassion suggests she'll be surrounded by images and models of her favorite creatures, if not the real deal themselves.

***

I am amazed that a government-owned and controlled network about to go kaput would invest on a reality show that caters to... no one, really. At least in our context. I was watching Heroes in RPN 9 (Sundays, 8PM) when cheat-princess and gold-digger extraordinaire Ruffa Gutierrez flashed in the tube, apparently as the host of the Philippines' own Top Model search. I could understand the US having an annual search, seeing how the place is essentially the capital of the fashion world and where, if I need to state the obvious, models usually work. There's also an Australian search but, well, we all know how they would like to be America not-quite.

Oh yes, I remember. We still have that obsession, don't we? Still the little brown brothers although this time, we're gonna be whiter. With Silka- and Biolink-induced vengeance. Labor officials keep blaming the lack of sufficient infrastructure (read: industries) that will absorb the multitudes of employees-to-be schools churn out each year. I think aspiring "models" should really look where they're headed before going all out in public humiliation camp that is reality TV. If ever there's a need, I think it should be a search for the Philippines' Modeling and Fashion industry. I mean a real industry, not the Tim Yap club; and one that has real workers in it, not just a bunch of pretty but ultimatey untalented rich kids.

***

Happy Easter everyone!

No comments: