Friday, July 13, 2007

Hardwork

Last night my colleague forwarded to me what she claimed was a leaked copy of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I asked her to send me a copy after she casually mentions that she had already read it, a revelation which caused me shock and awe beyond Bush's firepower. While I know how badly every literate people the world over want to get their hands on the series' finale first, it is this same realization that tells me there's no way in the world that the publishers would be too careless to leak a copy of its manuscript prior to the release date. That and of course, capitalist motivations.

So I opened the file and began reading the first sentence. The thing with the leaked version is that anyone who took at least introductory college lit will know the first sentence alone is not publishing-worthy. I am amazed at those who actually took the time to read it for having the tenacity to go through almost 700 pages of bad writing. But I feel more sorry for the admirably dedicated HP fan - possibly an avid fanfiction writer - who wrote it and who will never be acknowledged for his/her work, which will forever be known as piffle and which will be subjected to endless ridicule by his/her fellow HP fans.

So JKR would begin what could be the most anticipated piece of literature in modern history with "Harry slowly raised his head and stared morosely at the familiar visage of number four, Privet Drive"?

Yeah. Right.

No comments: